POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What is HDRI? : Re: What is HDRI? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is HDRI?
From: T J Viking
Date: 3 Mar 2003 09:07:43
Message: <3e6361af@news.povray.org>
> Okay, I give up. :-) I don't know enough about higher-end rendering to
> understand it. But I'll get there some day. Thanks to everyone.

Do not give up!

HDRI is just the BITMAP, nothing more.
Its higher dynamics & lower bounds on intensity clamping give you
opportunity to use it as a source of data which is more real than
clamped & more discretized RGB map such PNG,BMP etc.

Its a BITMAP!   ... used in a very cheap way to light the scene or
place more dynamic reflections/refractions.... its a touch of reality in
the very clamped POVRAY world....